Sunday, March 21, 2010

Is It Resignation or Disbelief?

As I write this (7 PM CDT) I have no idea what's going on with the health care vote. But after all the back-and-forth on this thing I sense a certain lack of interest in the population. Part of it is tired-head after having heard that the bill was a certain go, or a certain no-go, and after months of back-and-forth as to whether or not it will be deficit-neutral. (A non-factor, in my opinion, which I will likely report shortly.) Another part is:  I can't do anything to influence the knuckleheads on either side of the issue at this point.  Another part is:  I've heard these life-and-death ideological arguments before and I'm still alive even when the side I favored didn't win.



But some of it is: I just flat don't believe anything this dumb and corrupt (and, to the extent not known to be dumb and corrupt, just plain unknown) will eventually become law in the form advanced by its partisans, and, appalling as our elected leadership on both sides of this issue may be, it will either be repealed or moderated in some way before it ruins me financially or renders laughable the concept of meaningful health care choices for my old age.

So, we wait. And then we will wait again for November 2, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment